Indie roots quartet Gordie MacKeeman and his Rhythm Boys took home four awards this past weekend at the first annual May Run Music Festival and conference in Charlottetown.
Previously known as Music PEI Week, the event was re-branded this year and moved from the inhospitable month of January to the more favourable month of May, and attracted industry professionals from LA, NY, and various points across Canada to scout and participate in the week-long festivities that included the Canadian Song Conference, ticketed concerts and club showcases around the PEI capital.
MacKeeman and his Rhythm Boys were the clear winners this year, winning Group, Roots Traditional Recording, Entertainer and Album of the Year awards.
The festival wrapped up Sunday with an awards party in the afternoon and a concert at the Delta Hotel with four of P.E.I.'s internationally-touring artists including Tim Chaisson, who also took away two awards this week: Male Solo Recording of the Year and Country Recording of the Year.
Producer Jon Matthews won three awards: Live Production Professional of the Year, Producer of the Year and Studio of the Year for The Sound Mill Studio.
Gordie MacKeeman and His Rhythm Boys - "Song to a Young Seagull"
Here is the list of winners.
• Acadian/Francophone Artist of the Year: Vishtèn
• Live Music Programmer of the Year: Pat Deighan
• PEI Mutual Festival of Small Halls Venue of the Year: Trailside Cafe & Inn
• Country Recording of the Year: Tim Chaisson
• PEI Brewing Company Rock/Loud Recording of the Year: Andrew Waite & The Firm
• Achievement in Jazz or Classical: Atlantic String Machine
• Media Person of the Year: Karen Mair
• Visual Artist of the Year: Ryan Hutchinson
• Female Solo Recording of the Year: Drea Macdonald
• SpinCount Roots Contemporary Recording of the Year: Dennis Ellsworth
• Digital Achievement of the Year: Upstreet Craft Brewing
• Musician of the Year: Tian Wigmore
• Volunteer of the Year: Dan Rowswell
• Cavendish Beach Music Festival Group Recording of the Year: Gordie MacKeeman and His Rhythm Boys
• PEI Mutual Festival of Small Halls Roots Traditional Recording of the Year: Gordie MacKeeman and His Rhythm Boys
• Entertainer of the Year: Gordie MacKeeman and His Rhythm Boys
• Producer of the Year: Jon Matthews
• Bell Aliant Weekend Warrior: Ryan Merry
• Touring Artist of the Year: The East Pointers
• SOCAN Songwriter of the Year: Irish Mythen, "Gypsy Dancer"
• Downtown Charlottetown Inc. Event of the Year: PEI Mutual Festival of Small Halls Presenter of the Year: Small Halls Inc.
• Cover Band of The Year: Ryan Merry
• Male Solo Recording of the Year: Tim Chaisson
• Urban/Pop Recording of the Year: Sorrey
• Live Production Professional of the Year: Jon Matthews
• Recording Studio of the Year: The Sound Mill
• PEI Brewing Company Album of the Year: Gordie MacKeeman and His Rhythm Boys: Laugh, Dance & Sing
• School of Performing Arts New Artist of the Year: War Horses
• Video of the Year: Meaghan Blanchard, "Crash"
• Rooted to the Island- Alvvays
• Lifetime Achievement Award- Peter Chaisson
• Educator of the Year- Aaron Crane
• Tim Horton’s Industry Person of the Year- Hal Mills
-- Music PEI programs and activities are made possible through the ongoing support of the provincial departments of Economic Development and Tourism, Education, Advanced Learning and Culture and Innovation PEI as well as ACOA and FACTOR (Funded by the Government of Canada and the Public Broadcasters of Canada).