David Foster and Daniel Lavoie are to be inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame in Sept. at a ticketed star-studded gala at Massey Hall. Other 2021 inductees are Bryan Adams, Jim Vallance, and Alanis Morrisette. Further details and ticket info. can be found on the CSHF website.
– Live Nation has announced the hiring of Ricardo Taco, Claudia Valencia, and Maritsa Restrepo to expand the concert company’s North American Latin touring strategy. Taco has worked as an indie promoter and with Live Nation in Canada and is responsible for the firm’s Latin music strategy here; Valencia was hired as a Tour Director based out of Guadalajara, Mexico; and Restrepo was named Ticketing Coordinator based out of Los Angeles. Pollstar has a deeper dive.
– HBO and the Weeknd have released a teaser for The Idol, the network’s upcoming dramatic series starring the singer and Lily-Rose Depp, co-created by Abel Tesfaye, Sam Levinson and Reza Fahim. Variety has the scoop and here's the trailer.
– Johnny Reid’s long touted stage musical hits the board at Hamilton’s Theatre Aquarius next spring. Here’s a teaser from the project co-composed by Reid and Matt Muray.
– Named the 2021 Horizon Female Artist at the Country Music Alberta Awards, Hailey Benedict has signed with GPS Artist Management, a partnership between Sakamoto Agency in Canada and GrassRoots Promotion in Nashville. Manager Tera Lee Flaman will be handling day to day, with assistance from GrassRoots’ Nancy Johnson. GrassRoots Promotion’s Nancy Tunick and Sakamoto Agency’s Paul Biro are also actively involved in developing and facilitating the career strategy for this new talent.
– Justin Bieber has added a second night at Dubai’s Coca-Cola Arena on Oct. The emirate is just one stop on his tour of more than 30 countries which will run through to March of next year including Scandinavia and Europe, the UK, India, the Philippines, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. He resumes performing in Italy at the end of July.