This is the 3rd of a 3-part series about current music trends as researched and compiled by the Nielsen Company and published in the Canada 360 Report – 2019. Today’s analysis highlights streaming, a contentious delivery platform that is earning record companies with deep catalogues windfall profits, and a growing number of acts a steady income.
– Music listeners are now spending 33% of their weekly time streaming, up from 28% in 2018.
– 12% of listeners surveyed say they are likely to start subscribing to a paid service within the next 6 months. Nielsen suggests that the number represents a total of 3.4M potential customers.
– 46% of Teens are more likely to stream from a video platform, compared to 35% of Millennials.
- Video streamers spend an average of 30 hours a week listening to music.
– 52% of those surveyed are agreeable to watch ads in exchange for free music videos online.