Revered singer/songwriter/activist Sarah Harmer has announced details of an extensive 2022 North American tour. Her 2019 album Are You Gone earned Juno and Polaris Prize nominations, but the pandemic prevented proper tour support for it until now. The tour launches with two shows at Peterborough’s Market Hall (Feb. 23 and 24), and concludes with a May 27 concert at Guelph's War Memorial Auditorium. A March 25 date at Toronto’s Massey Hall is a likely tour highlight. Itinerary and tickets here
– Tomorrow (Nov. 19), Curve Music (via Warner Music Canada) releases a 10th Anniversary re-issue of Garth Hudson Presents: A Canadian Celebration of The Band. This edition includes additional artwork and new packaging, a 44-page booklet, and two previously unreleased bonus tracks- Whispering Pines (Garth Hudson featuring Doug Paisley) and Million Dollar Bash (Garth Hudson featuring Steve Leckie w/ Kevin Hearn & Thinbuckle).
The album, recorded between 2008 and 2010, was produced and performed by Garth Hudson, with co-producer/engineer Peter J. Moore (Cowboy Junkies, Lucinda Williams) at his side, and features guest appearances by an all-star Canadian cast, including Neil Young, Bruce Cockburn, Blue Rodeo, Cowboy Junkies, The Trews, The Sadies, Great Big Sea, Hawksley Workman, Mary Margaret O'Hara, and Ian Thornley, among others. In a press release, John Angus MacDonald of The Trews recalls that “Working with Garth was one of the great highlights of our career. As life-long fans of The Band, and in particular of the colourful, playful layers that Garth laid over the top of every song he played on, we were honoured to get the chance to create music with him in the studio.”
– Guitarist Jesse Cook releases a new studio album, Libre, on Dec. 3, and has just announced a cross-Canada tour for early 2022. Dates begin at The Port Theatre, Nanaimo on Jan. 17, closing out at the Grand Theatre de Quebec, Quebec City, on June 8. Itinerary and tix here
– Ottawa chamber music orchestra Thirteen Strings has announced a return to in-person concerts, with four planned for the Carleton Dominion-Chalmers Centre for its 2021-22 season. A live-stream component will also be utilized. More info here.
–Survival as a recording studio for 50 years is an impressive milestone, and Toronto's Kensington Sound plans to celebrate in fine style. A party will be held at the historic Grossman's Tavern on Nov. 30 from 6-11 pm. "Please join us, drop-in, say hello and re-connect with our wonderfully talented musical community," invites KS.
– Canadian Guild of Music Supervisors hosts an online Summit, Nov. 18-20. Industry professionals will be demystifying & breaking down the old question, “How do I get my songs in Sync!?”, and exploring other themes relevant to the sector. Register here.
– Music Publishers Canada has announced its next Music Rights 101 for Film and Television session is set for Nov. 25, 1-4 pm ET. The team from Stohn Hay Cafazzo Dembroski Richmond LLP will explore the core legal rights of music rightsholders, and provide an overview of how music is cleared for use by Canadian film and television producers. This session is intended for individuals working in the film & TV industries (including producers, business affairs professionals and entertainment lawyers) interested in building their knowledge about music licensing and clearances. Register here
– Acclaimed Toronto singer/songwriter Jadea Kelly has just posted a video for her new single, Driveway, from an album coming in 2022. The clip was filmed on an LA rooftop by award-winning Canadian francophone director, Nathaniel Siri.
– The Juno-winning Okavango African Orchestra plays an Africa Without Borders concert at Alliance Francaise Toronto on Dec. 4, 9 pm. Advance tix only, here
– On Nov. 26, Toronto-based jazz instrumentalists and band leaders Tara Davidson and William Carn will release a joint album, The History Of Us, on Three Pines Records. It is being launched with a 4-night run at the Rex Hotel & Jazz Bar in Toronto, Nov. 24-27.
– Music PEI is looking for expressions of interest for the Golden Ticket Program from PEI-based recording studios. This unique program assists an artist to record one song and release to all platforms including radio and streaming. Each artist is assigned a producer and an engineer/studio. Nov. 26 is the deadline to apply at email@example.com.